Friday, January 18, 2008

Vodafone all over the MRTS

During my recent visit to Chennai, there were two changes that I noticed in the Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS).

One, they have increased the frequency of services after extending it till Velachery. Being a stone's throw away from the Greenways Road station made this especially useful because now I had a service in any direction at least once in 15 minutes. Now, I don't have to worry even if I miss the train. Compare this to the time when if I miss the train, I either had to wait for 50 minutes to catch the next train or scurry along the Greenways Road looking for an exorbitantly priced auto rickshaw service.


Besides, the Railways has also installed a display saying when the next train is due for arrival. Though this wasn't working in most of the stations when I visited Chennai, the station authorities promised that they will be up and running very soon.

The other thing was the advertisements on the trains. While I am used to seeing companies advertising on the top strip of the outside of the train (local company ads like Ramraj, Dixcy etc used to come there), this time I saw an entire train painted in bright red with Vodafone ads all along. It's better to see the pictures than explain it in words.

This just tells me that the Railways are improving in getting revenues and Vodafone is creative enough to find new and better ways of advertising and reaching out to people.

No comments:

 

My Blog Directory