Wednesday, February 27, 2008

1466

Finally I started posting blogs at my new opinion site. Check out today's article on Indian Railways Budget at http://vadapoda.blogspot.com/2008/02/indian-railways-budget-2008.html

It was 1 A.M., and I had to draw money from the ATM to book hotel rooms for my parents when they come down here to IIM Indore for my convocation. I thought I'll take a walk to the ATM. It was a pleasant night, a perfect time to walk. But what struck me most was the quietness of the entire hillock which was only broken by the rustle of the dried leaves and the occasional vehicle that passed by on the Pithampur Road. The road from hostel to the main gate (where the ATM is located) was fully lit by sodium vapour lamps, giving everything an eerie glow. It was a very different feeling to walk alone in such a setting at that time of the night. The whole walk was as such uneventful. While coming back, I had an idea. Why not count the number of steps I need to take to walk from the main gate to my room? I got so engrossed in doing this count that I don't even remember how exactly I made it to my block. But finally, I had a concrete number in mind - 1466.

Now, if somebody asks me for a walk to the main gate or ATM I can respond in one of these ways:

  • "Oh sure, now I'll have 1466 steps of walk to enjoy with you."
  • "Look buddy, it's gonna take me 1466 steps. And I'm not ready to waste so much time and energy right now."

Anyway, all these wishful thinking of alternate ways of responding are numbered. With just about a week or so left here, I am more than willing to go for a walk any time. It will end up being "A Walk to Remember".

Below are some night time pictures that I took along with Robin during a photo walk we made a few days back.

No comments:

 

My Blog Directory