Sunday, February 03, 2008

Cultural Differences

It's quite interesting to see the way interpersonal interaction changes from one culture to another.

During my trip to New Delhi recently, I happened to go to Saravana Bhavan for lunch. Since I was dining alone, I got to share the table with another person. When I went to the table, there was a person already sitting. A quick 'hi' to him just got a nod. He was waiting for his lunch to come he was free. Any sort of attempt to strike a conversation was futile. And then he got busy on his mobile phones. I gave up and started giving my order. He finished his lunch and left. A few minutes later a Chinese girl came and took the same seat. And boy, she was really talkative. From trying to find out the type of food that will taste good to the purpose each one of us were there in Delhi, the conversation was pretty interesting. I had to leave in a few minutes of meeting her, but we seemed to know atleast something about each other and the type of culture we are from.

Two persons with so much contrasts, within a span of few minutes. Maybe the guy was thinking just about the work he had in mind and so he didn't talk. Maybe being a girl from around my age and from a different culture, I just happened to talk a lot to her. But considering the fact that I am not someone who easily starts talking to strangers and especially girls, I can only see how differences in culture make people act differently.

No comments:

 

My Blog Directory